Tuesday, September 23, 2008

this is family business



So the trip is winding down and Im headed to Prague to meet my family and nanny of years before. I flew into Prague late Friday afternoon and headed to my nanny’s condo to meet her and my family whom I hadn’t seen in nearly 3 months. The homecoming was wonderful as we ate dinner and caught up. Emma my nanny and her husband Kieran wanted to go out that night for drinks so my brother and I decided to join them. To make a long story short we stayed out till nearly 6am going from club to club and slept in until about 2pm and missed an entire city in the city. For the remainder of the day we decided just to meander through the narrow streets of Prague and just shop and sightsee for a bit. That evening we had dinner on the river which ended up being one of the best meals I had in Europe to date, it was some Czech duck I think, its been a while. Once again we decided to go out and it was a late night again, I swear this city never sleeps, as a bunch of the clubs here are open 24 hours a day.


I am writing this nearly a month after having come home so things are a bit hazey, but I promised everyone (mom) that I would finish it so im gunna finish it. Prague turned out to be one of my favorite cities in Europe. The beauty of untouched architecture, the vibe of the city, the shopping, the food, and the beer are all unparalleled. Prague is one of the few historic cities in Europe that weren’t bombed out during any of the world wars and it shows, everything here is beyond old. In addition to all this, it is also one of the cheaper cities. Granted I was with my parents, the exchange rate and general prices of things here in Prague are way cheaper than a vast majority of the other cities I have visited in western Europe. Just being on the streets of Prague was an experience in itself, you cant help but to gaze over the river at buildings and monuments that are thousands of years old and just be awestruck. Being in the Czech Republic has jumpstarted my interest in eastern Europe, and I hope that I have the opportunity in the future to make a trip to the hidden gems scattered throughout eastern Europe; Slovenia, Poland, Croatia, Serbia, Lithuania etc etc. Monday morning my dad I got a taxi to the airport to pick up our rental car. Oh my god what an experience that was driving back into Prague. To begin with, the Czech language is extremely confusing, they use a different character set than us and all of their words seem like they are 20 letters long with all consonants. It took about double the time to get back including going the wrong way on some one way streets, and this seemed to be the common theme for the rest of our journeys via car. Oh well, we hopped in our station wagon and headed into Austria to the capitol city of Vienna, the city of spies.



p.s. some things i forgot....we went to a bar named The Beer Factory that had a very unique idea. All of the tables have beer taps at the table with a computer, and posted all over the bar are big tvs displaying the scoreboard of the tables. It keeps track of the beer your drank and then puts you up on the scoreboard with the rest of the bar, a very fun concept. We also took a tour of prague on a speedboat through the river which was a blast ripping down the river going 40mph and taking in the sights.

No comments: