Saturday, July 26, 2008

New York City!! errrr Old York

ok ok ok so im sorryfor the delay, ive just been doing a lot of traveling and havent really had a lot of time to sit down and write this stuff but here goes nothin.....

So this aint New York, its Old York, and I love this city. We arrived after a four hour or so bus ride into the English countryside. The city is a lot bigger than I imagined, and is still surrounded by the roman walls, yes the roman walls its that old. York used to be the site of a major roman military installation and the evidence of this is abundant everywhere. The first night that we got there we spent at a local brewery pub that would turn out to basically be our hangout for the rest of the visit. They had about four brews brewed locally and york and they were all amazing. In particular, was a dark creamy beer called Centurion’s Ghost that I doubt I will ever be able to find in the states but who knows, its won a lot of awards so maybe I can find it at some import specialty store. After an early night we headed back to campus, which is beautiful. The whole campus is surrounding a big lake and a majority of the buildings are on water front. It was like going to school on a nature reserve. The next day we had a walking tour of the city. I really enjoyed it was the town was rich in history and the guy knew is stuff. We got to walk along the city walls and then headed into York Minster. The York Minster was HUGE and it too had a ton of history behind it and I really enjoyed the tour. That day we also went to a WW2 museum, which was inside of a former German POW camp from WW2. the museum was huge and I absolutely loved it,. Before then I had never been into a entire museum of just ww2 exhibitions and I was completely engrossed by every single room. That night was a night to remember. We headed back to the same pub as the night before, only this time our professors Jim and Chris were with us. Our professor Chris proceeded to get super wasted and was the drunkest person in England that night. Screaming at the band up front, dancing around the pub, and generally just being hilarious. After that we got some kebabs at our new favorite eating vender, Amigos. Let me tell you how hot this chili sauce was, I was crawling on the ground through the streets of York begging for milk to calm my mouth down, it was hands down the hottest food I had ever eaten in my life.

That next morning we headed to fountains abbey which was a lot cooler than I expected. It was this giant gardens with an enormous ruined abbey in it. The gardens were beautiful and we spent the next 4 hours exploring underground tunnels, climbing rocks, and wandering through the lush green gardens. The weather was great so we were lucky to go to the abbey that day. After that we hopped in the bus for the 4 hour ride home. All in all I loved york, as you know I like London, but I don’t love it. Its too modern and overwhelming but york, very relaxing and I loved the small town feeling. This weekend I am headed to Stockholm Sweden and am super excited. I am going to find out for myself if all the beautiful people really live up to the hype.

No comments: